Search This Blog

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Breathe In, Breathe Out...Ohmmmm

It sounds so simple and yet there are days when simply breathing evenly, slowly, mindfully is a huge task. I think that's true for so many women but especially busy women executives.

I think that's why traditional meditation has always seemed just a bit out of reach for me. (I am sure I have even gotten that "traditional meditation" label in there incorrectly...) Still, I believe that there are so many benefits to quieting and taming my monkey mind that I try to find some type of meditation, guided relaxation, ohm-ing that will work for me.

Here's what I have learned...
  • Sitting still for 30 minutes right out of the gate and expecting your inner to-do list to shut down for the whole time is unrealistic. Try FIVE and see if you can do that first.
  • All meditation doesn't happen in a lotus position on a mountaintop. It can happen in a comfy chair with a cup of tea, walking around the track at the Y with an affirmation tape or just before you fall asleep. Let go of the perfection of the time and place.
  • It takes time to make progress. As much as I'd like immediate, microwave-fast results in my ability to meditate, it just doesn't happen that way. Exercising these new mental muscles is challenging, frustrating and encouraging.

Do you meditate? What practices or tips have worked for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment