Search This Blog

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Is It Just Me Or Is It Cold In Here?

I tend to get cold easily.  When I worked in an office, even when we went business casual, I dressed in layers - jackets, sweater ensembles, and the like.  In that corporate environment, I had little control over the temperature - unless you count the contraband space heaters we had.

Working in a home office, I should have more control over lots of things - including the temperature.  Yet, when I thought it was chilly, my first reaction was to assume it was just me.  Possibly the power of suggestion with the 8 inches of snow on the ground and the subzero temperatures.  And I kept thinking that same way and just put on another layer, grabbed a cup of hot tea and considered gloves with the fingers cut out (better for typing).

But it wasn't just me being a cold weather wimp.

As the thermostat kept going down and the year-old furnace ran constantly, I started thinking it really wasn't just me.  But it took THREE DAYS to get there.  Granted, we kept thinking it would get better as the weather got warmer (moving from subzero to the teens - heat wave!).  It didn't.  It got colder instead. 

And we started moving space heaters from room to room as we went.

Until we finally called someone...and found out the compressor was out.  Now, I know very little about furnaces or any heating and cooling systems in general.  Except that I know that a compressor is a big deal.  So we feel smart and relieved for calling in the pros.  And we feel a bit stupid (yes, stupid) for waiting three cold days to do it.

In the grand scheme of things, it's a minor inconvenience.  Still, it made me think about other things like that.  What other things in my life, my lifestyle, my relationships, my work do I put up with because I assume "it's just me"?  When is it time to stop settling and call in the pros?

What answers do you get when you ask yourself those same questions?

No comments:

Post a Comment