Search This Blog

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Where Are My Minions?

Before "Despicable Me" even came out in the theaters, my daughter was trying to describe the premise.  Among other things, she talked about Gru having minions - the little yellow guys in the movie who are going to help him take over the world. 
The possibilities of having minions!

I immediately said that I wanted some minions - not to take over the world, mind you, but a couple of extra hands to do my bidding would help immensely on most days.  (My son says that he and his sister are my minions which I am not buying because they actually don't do my bidding most days.)

Ahh...but some help who didn't ask questions, challenge my brilliant decisions and get things done in record time?  THAT I could get used to. 

Alas, I didn't have this in my 20 years' of corporate life, and I have yet to find it anywhere else.  It does make me think, though, of a list of things that I would readily hand off or delegate and of what I would spend that extra precious time on.  It also makes me think hard about why I don't take some action to create a minion force of my own - at least in a manner of speaking.

Why is it so hard to ask another mom to manage my daughter onto the bus when I have a breakfast meeting (yes, it's the same bus her daughter rides)?

Why do I feel like I have to continually justify having someone clean the house every 2 weeks (especially when I'd really like to have it done weekly)?

Why do I feel like treats should be homemade (although not at school because that's some sort of accreditation/allergy issue)?

Why do I hold myself responsible for the general stability and day-to-day running of the household when there is one other highly responsible adult and 2 getting-there kids?

I think getting minions might actually be easier than answering these questions!  Sure, I have made amazing progress on my journey - and can help you along the path that I've traveled - but the evolution continues. 

What about you?  Are you still looking for your minions - and letting that keep your from creating the life you truly desire as a busy woman executive? 

No comments:

Post a Comment